【from Nagasaki Port】Silence: A Tour of Nagasaki City

【from Nagasaki Port】Silence: A Tour of Nagasaki City-1

Retrace the footsteps of the movie ”Silence” in Nagasaki City and learn about Hidden Christian history.

  • Required Time:4 hours
  • Means of Transportation:by taxi, walk
  • Print

START

Approx. 10 min. by taxi. About 1,000-1,500 yen.

Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan

The sad history of the martyrdom is commemorated at this Memorial Hall
Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan-1

In 1962, in commemoration of the centennial of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan that occurred on Nishizaka hill, the Memorial Relief of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan was constructed concurrently with the adjoining Saint Filippo Nishizaka Church. The Memorial Hall that stands quietly behind the life-sized bronze statues of the 26 saints is divided into two themes - things handed down from Christian times and things created today in order to clarify history. It introduces the history of Christianity from the time of Saint Frances Xavier's visit until the Meiji period. Exhibitions include a letter by the priest Nakaura Julien from the Tenshou youth facility, letters addressed to Portugal's King John III from Saint Francis Xavier, the record of the battle of Shimabara, the Maria Kannon sculpture, and a bronze Pieta from the 16th century, as well as frescoes and Japanese paintings.

Address 850-0051 長崎県長崎市西坂町7-8(日本二十六聖人記念館)
TEL 095-822-6000(日本二十六聖人記念館)

Approx. 5 min. by taxi. About 1,000 yen.

Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture

Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture-1

Built in the Suwa area, this museum contains many valuable items such as historical documents related to foreign cultural exchange, art, and ancient manuscripts. A recreation of a part of the Nagasaki Magistrate’s Tateyama Office is also inside the museum.

  • Address 850-0007 長崎県長崎市立山1-1-1
    TEL 095-818-8366
    Hours of Operation AprilーNovember: 8:30~19:00
    DecemberーMarch: 8:30~18:00
    (Last entrance is 30 minutes before close)
    Closed 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month
    *The exhibition room may be closed to change the exhibition
  • Learn more
Address 850-0007 長崎県長崎市立山1-1-1
TEL 095-818-8366
Hours of Operation AprilーNovember: 8:30~19:00
DecemberーMarch: 8:30~18:00
(Last entrance is 30 minutes before close)
Closed 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month
*The exhibition room may be closed to change the exhibition

Approx. 5 min. by taxi. About 1,000 yen.

Dejima

Japan's only window to Europe during the national isolation period.
Dejima-1
Dejima Protestant Seminary, a restored and preserved wooden two-storey building constructed in 1877, was Japan's first Protestant seminary. Here, we have experimented with exhibitions using models and graphics that take two perspectives - "Dejima, the Center of Trade," which focuses on Dejima's trading history, and "Dejima, the Center of Culture," which highlights the island's function as a window on cultural exchange. These exhibitions provide details on Dejima's creation as well as its transition, articles of commerce, life on Dejima, and the history up to the period of foreign settlement after Japan was opened to the world. This history is essential not only to an understanding of current Nagasaki culture, but also to a wider understanding of the very development of Japanese culture. It is full of highly interesting discoveries as well as buildings currently undergoing restoration. For example, the annex building, a restored former stone warehouse constructed after Japan's opening to the world, contains exhibits of archeological finds on Dejima.
Address 850-0862 長崎県長崎市出島町6-1
TEL 095-821-7200
Hours of Operation 8:00~21:00(Last entry at 20:40)

Approx. 5 min. by taxi. About 1,000 yen.

Oura Cathedral / La cathédrale d’Oura

Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region / Les Sites chrétiens cachés de la région de Nagasaki
Oura Cathedral / La cathédrale d’Oura-1

Oura Cathedral is the oldest wooden church of Gothic architecture existing in Japan. It was built in 1864 by a French missionary, and was thus known by the people of Nagasaki at the time as the “French Temple”. This church was dedicated to the 26 martyrs who had been executed on Nishizaka Hill; the bronze statues in Oura Cathedral and on Nishizaka were built to face each other. This church has been designated as a national treasure. One important story of this church is the “Discovery of the Flock”. In March 1865, hidden Christians from Urakami came to the cathedral and told the priest, Father Petitjean, that they were of the same faith as he was. When the Pope at the time heard the story of the Christian faith that had survived the centuries of harsh persecution, he was greatly moved and declared it to be the “Miracle in the East”.
Pope John Paul II visited this site in 1981.
This church was replaced with Urakami Cathderal as the Cathedral of the Nagasaki Archdiocese.
In 2016, it has been recognized by the Vatican as a Minor Basilica for its historical value.

  • Address 850-0931 長崎県長崎市南山手町5-3
    TEL 095-823-2628(大浦天主堂)
    Hours of Operation 8:30~18:00(Last entry at 17:30)
  • Learn more
Address 850-0931 長崎県長崎市南山手町5-3
TEL 095-823-2628(大浦天主堂)
Hours of Operation 8:30~18:00(Last entry at 17:30)

Approx. 10 min. walk.

-1

FINISH

Google Map may not be properly displayed if the volume per day exceeds the limit.

Other Sample Itineraries

SHARE

We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. If you continue to browse, you accept the use of cookies on our site. See our cookies policy for more information.